Sydney, New South Wales Climate & Temperature
- Sydney, New South Wales, Australia is at 33°51'S, 151°12'E, 40 m (132 ft). See map.
- Sydney, New South Wales has a humid subtropical climate that is mild with no dry season, constantly moist (year-round rainfall). Summers are hot and muggy with thunderstorms. Winters are mild with precipitation from mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate. (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfa).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Sydney, New South Wales is situated in or near the subtropical moist forest biome.
- The mean temperature is 18.2 degrees Celsius (64.7 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 10 °C (18°F). This indicates that the continentality type is hyperoceanic, subtype barely hyperoceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 17.7°C (63.8°F) on average falling to 9.1°C (48.4°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 22.1°C (71.8°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 13.9°C (57°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 25.9°C (78.6°F) and average low temperatures are 18.8°C (65.9°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 22.9°C (73.2°F) during the day and lows of 15°C (59.1°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1302.1 mm (51.3 inches) which is equivalent to 1302.1 Litres/m² (31.94 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2426 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- If you were to burrow down through the Earth from Sydney, New South Wales you would come out nearest to the climate station at Santa Maria, Portugal where you would find a Mediterranean climate.
Rio de Janeiro,
Climate of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below:
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Bourke, New South Wales, Australia - 652.9 kms (405.7 miles) NW
- Cobar Mo, Australia - 568.2 kms (353.1 miles) WNW
- Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia - 305.9 kms (190.1 miles) NW
- Richmond, Australia - 48.8 kms (30.4 miles) NW
- Sydney (Airport), Australia - 10 kms (6.2 miles) SSW
- Nowra Ran, Australia - 135.5 kms (84.2 miles) SSW
- Wagga, Australia - 372.4 kms (231.4 miles) WSW
- Canberra, Capital Territory, Australia - 244.1 kms (151.7 miles) SW
- Gabo Island, Australia - 428.3 kms (266.1 miles) SSW
- Melbourne (Airport), Australia - 713.6 kms (443.4 miles) SW
- Essendon, Australia - 712.8 kms (442.9 miles) SW
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia - 712.8 kms (442.9 miles) SW
- Laverton, Australia - 731.2 kms (454.4 miles) SW
- East Sale, Australia - 598.3 kms (371.8 miles) SW